Sunday, February 18, 2007

Surface Luminary


And then
the innocent moon
stood still
over the land of midnight
And said:
“I am the best of
all possible moons
I am.”

Answering its subjects
as if the darkness was a question
and the darkness was

“I am a democratic moon
one light for all
shining on this
everlasting night.

“Acknowledge me
Give loyalty to me.

For I am the best luminary
of the night

I supply you with phases of light.

So, we’ll make a bargain:

“You shall live by my astrology
like the seas;
You shall move to the tides
of my making...

“ Plant, tend, procreate
in my pale kingdom...

For a thousand years
of peace and stasis:
In a government of moonlight.”

“We will keep this one little rule

“ Let’s not talk about
the day
or sunshine
and its anarchy of light !

And the darkness seemed
to say yes.


Wayne David Knoll 1987

First published in 'Compost of Dreams' 1993
Also pubished in 'Watershed' Daylesford, Victoria

No comments: